[LMB] OT: Thought for the day.

Richard Macdonald don_iain at verizon.net
Mon Sep 5 00:31:08 BST 2011

From: tonyz at eskimo.com
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2011 4:36 PM
To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold.
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: Thought for the day.

>> On the news program this morning, they did a bit on hunting in Colorado,
>> featuring the statement "Alligator wrestling is not a thinking man's
>> sport".  Something I may have figured out by junior high.  It did inspire
>> a thought, though.  Should we desperately need something to consider/talk
>> about while waiting for The Next Book,  we could think of candidates for
>> the The Thinking Person's Sport.
>
>Baseball?
>
>Skydiving?
>
>Null-G volleyball or quarries?

I prefer fencing, the sport is VERY mental, as much as physical.
Having to read your opponents measure, movements and stance
to find openings, weaknesses and anticipate attacks.

A fencer excellent in the mental will often defeat a physically
stronger opponent. Of course be very aware of us old and treacherous
guys who can occasionally still fight in Zen state and give very
few "tells".

http://www.slate.com/id/2219878/

Of course I to Renaissance Rapier with heavier blades and weapons
often in both hands. And for "Princess Bride" fans, I have both
Agrippa and Capo Ferro's books on my shelf.

"Inigo Montoya: You are using Bonetti’s Defense against me, ah?
Man in Black: I thought it fitting considering the rocky terrain.
Inigo: Naturally, you must suspect me to attack with Capo Ferro?
Man in Black: Naturally, but I find that Thibault cancels out Capo Ferro.
Don’t you?
Inigo: Unless the enemy has studied his Agrippa… which I have."
--
Don Iain of Rannoch, CWST
Husband to Lady Elizabeth of Cranstone