[LMB] OT: Thought for the day.

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Sep 5 01:59:38 BST 2011

On Sep 4, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Richard Macdonald wrote:
> I prefer fencing, the sport is VERY mental, as much as physical.

Why, yes, it is. I had only a semester of it in college, but it was the best choice for my phys. ed. requirement. I should have taken more sessions, it was that much fun.

> A fencer excellent in the mental will often defeat a physically
> stronger opponent. Of course be very aware of us old and treacherous
> guys who can occasionally still fight in Zen state and give very
> few "tells".

Especially if you and your opponent are opposite hands--but you can confuse, some times, a lefthander with another lefthander, as we have fewer chances to practice against our own kind.

> Of course I do Renaissance Rapier with heavier blades and weapons
> often in both hands. And for "Princess Bride" fans, I have both
> Agrippa and Capo Ferro's books on my shelf.

I'm impressed with the books--and you do florentine style as well!

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
The perils of ambulatory reading. If you have never said “Excuse me” to a parking meter or bashed your shins on a fireplug, you are probably wasting too much valuable reading time.

Sherri Chasin Calvo (contemp.) American computer scientist                          (Attributed)