[LMB] A military question

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 15:41:34 BST 2011

Belatedly...

Ops definitely means Operations.  The question is, what does operations mean?  It could be logistics - which are damn important in a modern military.  It's said that good leaders worry about tactics, great ones about logistics - for example, Gen Eisenhower organizing D-Day.

Ops could also mean more active operations, such as spy ops or counterspy ops.  Using Eisenhower again, the many levels of operation to deceive the Nazis about where the D-Day invasion was going to happen.

(This had two main thrusts.[1]  One was the fact that every single spy Hitler thought he had in Britain, was actually controlled by Britain; this was called the XX or Double Cross system.  The Allies fed Hitler false invasion information through this network (including info fed after D-Day started, to make Hitler think Normandy was a feint).  The other was all the fake materiel created to fool Hitler's observers, aerial fly-overs, etc.  Both were massive logistical as well as operational undertakings.

- Harimad

[1] Reasonable people can - and probably will - disagree about how many main thrusts there were in the D-Day deception operation(s).  To my mind these two are the most important.