[LMB] A military question

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Mon Sep 5 16:11:03 BST 2011

Bah...
Op[erations] is live, real time military activities carrying out military
missions...
It is NOT -planning- in advance for activities,  it is NOT research and
development, it is NOT administrative stuff, it is the real-time engaging in
activities carrying out military missions.
"Logistics" is the discipline and activities involved in figuring out how to
get people and equipment to/from places, figuring out how to pre-position
people and materiel  [yes, that spelling is deliberate, it's "materiel"] and
move people and materiel around, and figuring out how much materiel and how
many people are needed for what when and where.....

There are logistics -operations- of airlift, sealift, and other
transportation activities hauling people and equipment around and delivering
people and materiel to places and locations, the operations, again, are
the -activities- of actively engaging in transporting the people and
material around.

Sitting around in Cheyenne Mountain in the Space Defense Center (which was
superseded later by newer computers systems and equipment in another part of
the facility referred to as the Space Defense Operations Center) and in the
Tactical Operations Room at the radar site at Thule Greenland, I was an "ops
wienie" working in places staffed 24 X 7 reacting to what was going out on
in the world regarding things getting launched that went however briefly
into the exoatmosphere and calculating orbits, predicting flight
trajectories, and -reacting- to what was going into and out of or merely
circling around in the exoatmosphere, and helping keep track of all the
stuff, much of which quite literally was/is junk....