[LMB] OT: The thinking man's sport (was: Re: OT: Thought for the day.)

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Wed Sep 7 01:28:00 BST 2011

On Sep 6, 2011, at 6:12 PM, Raye Johnsen wrote:

> In my experience, every sport, when played hard by people who want to win, becomes a mental sport.  It is simply not possible to switch one's brain off *and* win, so if one *wishes* to win, one must use strategies and tactics, which elevates the sport in question to the mental plane.
>
> ... However much we *wish* to think that the football bull-- *jock* is brainless...
>
> Raye

That said, I highly recommend someone who has trouble with taking tests to play an hour of hard racquetball every day during final week.    What they need is a sport that is reactive enough to push thoughts out of his brain, and tiring enough in a physical way to help them get a good night's sleep that night.    But college gyms are virtually empty of undergraduate students during final week.   Students complain that they know the material that they've studied all semester long, but can't take tests.    They aren't preparing their bodies/brains optimally for the test.