[LMB] OT: picking a scene

Alexandra Haropulos aharo at erols.com
Wed Sep 7 01:46:55 BST 2011

On 9/6/2011 6:01 PM, John Lennard wrote:
> This is a vital professional matter for me, and if I have missed a
> judgement effectively defining the limit of Fair Use as 250 words it's
> very important that I remedy that error. Thanks.

As I was briefly in the middle of this about 15 years ago, Fair Use once
constituted a specific quote, perhaps a paragraph. Then, as a result of
an appeals court ruling, it went to an entire chapter!

This was around the topic of "course packs", where a professor would
create a text around a variety of chapters from various books and papers
(aka, Xerox Heaven).

It seemed an outrageous ruling then, and still does. I have no idea
where it stands now.

Alex H
generalist extraordinaire