[LMB] Barrayaran Ranks and The problem of being related to Miles

Lois Aleta Fundis loisaletafundis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 02:21:48 BST 2011

and Katherine Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu> replied

> I don't think so.  Where's the textev?  He talks about how petty and
> unimportant the promotion to captain is, even though he still wants it.
>  Doesn't sound like a ship captain promotion to me.

Remember? Miles was mired as a mere Lieutenant.  (Oops. My alliteration
button got pushed there.) because of the events of Warrior's Apprentice and
The Vor Game -- on Barrayar he was widely seen as a sort of hapless mutie
Vorling whose career was not exactly stellar, and largely due to family
influence [partly true], while Those That Knew (like Gregor, and Aral, and
Simon, not to mention Cordelia) couldn't tell anyone about the Really
Important Stuff that Miles *had* done, especially with the Dendarii.  It
served them that Miles' public image remain thus, too.  Who would expect
this unexceptional little lieutenant of being the notorious Admiral
Naismith?  In other words, Miles' very success was holding him back! Yes, it
was "mere" Army-level captain that he aspired to then.

Lois Fundis

--
Lois Aleta Fundis
loisaletafundis at gmail.com