[LMB] Hurricane Irene

mtraber251 mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 7 10:03:48 BST 2011

On 9/6/2011 9:42 PM, A. Marina Fournier wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2011, at 5:04 PM, mtraber251 wrote:
>> We lost our mulberry tree, and some grape vines, and one of the guinea fowls took french leave for a few days. The eagles nest made it through the storm just fine, and I heard at least one of our great horned owls midweek.
> Sorry to hear of your deprivation of modern civilization. If you want suggestions of where to find replacements for those online, I'd be happy to suggest vendors who've been good for my needs.
>
> A. Marina Fournier
The guinea wandered back, we have a plethora of feral grape vines
lurking in the woods, and I detest mulberry trees ... little blobs of
red dye being tracked into the house and barn annoys me =)

We may just make the jump from portable generator to installed generac,
I would personally prefer to use my annual stipend for vacation - next
June we are doing Amsterdam for a week, renting a flat instead of a
hotel so I can have friends visit and we can *cook* <squee> so that will
suck up the major portion of the money. Our generator is some 17 years
old and does not provide the 220 for the water pump. Of course I can
pick up a gen set that will put out 220 for about $500, it just won't
automatically start when the power tanks. There is more flexibility in
having portable generators instead of one single large installed unit.

We were fine, just watering the critters with the water stored in the
hot tub [Rob drained, flushed and refilled it to make critter potable
supply] and flush water was in 2 55 gal non potable water drums. We had
the fridge, the always on nightlight in the living room, and one light
in the bedroom in the house, the freezers and midlevel night light and
one light on top floor for Phlip in the Barn, and one UPS/power
conditioner and laptop in the house for entertainment [cable was out and
I havent figured out how to tether with my droid =( ]

Eagles have been spotted, no idea if they had chicks this year or not -
we didnt see any but we also don't poke around trying to look into the
nest.