[LMB] OT: Thought for the day

Carol Cooper carolcooper at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 7 19:43:02 BST 2011

A. Marina Fournier wrote

> Did you feel like an atheist looking at all the art in the Vatican? That's
> my reaction there.

Hmmm - that's an interesting comment.  I'm an atheist, but was deeply moved
by some of the art in the Vatican (and deeply amused/revolted by some of the
more over the top stuff).  It brings to mind an instance when I remarked to
a religious friend that when I sing 'Messiah' I share and can understand the
emotions the music is meant to evoke, and she suggested that in fact it was
God speaking to me and trying to inspire me through the music.  I was quite
certain it wasn't - it was Handel speaking, conveying his own feelings about
the story through his music.  The thing is, the reason some artists or
musicians are great is because of their ability to convey emotions and ideas
through their art - and you don't have to be a Christian to be moved to pity
when viewing a 'pieta' and the depiction of a mother grieving - you're
looking at a basic human emotion.

We're performing Adams's 'On the Transmigration of Souls' - a memorial to
the 911 victims - the next couple of nights.  I don't know anyone who was
involved that day, but this work has a heck of an emotional impact.

Probably not really to the point of your message, but it just set me to
musing....

Carol