[LMB] OT: picking a scene

John Hallam bujold at j.hallam.dk
Thu Sep 8 11:59:52 BST 2011

> In a message dated 9/6/2011 6:01:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> john.c.lennard at gmail.com writes:
>
> >This is a vital professional matter  for me, and if I have missed a
> >judgement effectively defining the limit of  Fair Use as 250 words
> >it's very important that I remedy that error.  Thanks.
>
> _www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html_
> (http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html) seems to explain it fairly
> well.  Apparently it's mostly based on precedent, with no actual
> number of words given.  It would be very hard to write a review
> without quoting, after all.

  This assumes that John L operates in a US law context (which may be
true).  UK law is apparently quite different in that there is no
concept of "fair use" but instead one of "fair dealing".  A few
moments with Google turned up two useful Wikipedia articles [1,2].

Cheers,

	John H.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_Kingdom
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing_in_United_Kingdom_law