[LMB] OT: Evolution, WAS verging on forbidden territory: GOP attitudes about science

Claire Nollet cnollet at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 16:55:10 BST 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Bear Master <bearmaster0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >Without attributing any political significance to this, I have seen polls
> that indicate that as many as a third of Americans would agree "the jury's
> stil out" on evolution.<

Yeah, my BOSS believes that the earth is 6000 years old, because some
preacher came to her church and explained how that whole carbon-14 business
is nonsense, etc.

This is an otherwise intelligent, competent woman.  I was absolutely FLOORED
when she told me her views.  Obviously, you don't argue with your boss about
non-work stuff, so I snapped my mouth shut, but I lost a little respect for
her that day.

I mean, my religion requires me to believe some pretty fantastical things
(I'm a Catholic), but I can separate my religious views from the rest of my
thinking processes.  I accept that most religions have some absolutely crazy
ideas, but the overall ethical beliefs of my religion are compatible with my
own, and I like the rituals, so I'm still a Catholic.

But when my religion tells me absolutely nutty things that are
scientifically invalid, I ignore my religion (like everyone drinking from
the same Communion cup, and "no germs are passsed on because the cup is
wiped with a cloth after each person" and apparently the Blood of Christ is
an aseptic fluid, incapable of passing on disease).