[LMB] OT: Evolution, WAS verging on forbidden territory: GOP attitudes about science

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Sep 8 20:52:40 BST 2011

On Sep 8, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Claire Nollet wrote:
> I mean, my religion requires me to believe some pretty fantastical things
> (I'm a Catholic), but I can separate my religious views from the rest of my
> thinking processes.

In Pagan circles, we talk about four (or five, when you include spirit) elements, and a variety of origin myths, but we see them as that: myths to explain things. Most, if not all of us, hold with scientific fact and process. There are some practices and beliefs outside of that, having to do with spiritual matters.

> But when my religion tells me absolutely nutty things that are
> scientifically invalid, I ignore my religion (like everyone drinking from
> the same Communion cup, and "no germs are passsed on because the cup is
> wiped with a cloth after each person" and apparently the Blood of Christ is
> an aseptic fluid, incapable of passing on disease)

In my youth, Communion of the Blood was rare for non-clerics--and that was post-Vatican-II. My father, during his conversion/baptism ritual, was given it, and that was the first time I saw it. Most Protestant denominations that offer wine/juice, as well as the bread, have little cups in which they distribute it. I think it was a wedding in a UCC/Congregational where I saw that first.

I do recall when the Mass went from Latin to the vernacular...and I was starting to be able to recite the blasted thing in Latin, too!

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
A print addict is a man who reads in elevators. People occasionally look at me curiously when they see me standing there, reading a paragraph or two as the elevator goes up. To me, it’s curious that there are people who do not read in elevators. What can they be thinking about?

Robert Fulford (b. 1932) Canadian journalist, magazine editor, essayist
“The Pastimes of a Print Addict”