[LMB] OT: Evolution, WAS verging on forbidden territory: GOP attitudes about science

mtraber251 mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 12:23:44 BST 2011

On 9/8/2011 11:55 AM, Claire Nollet wrote:
> Yeah, my BOSS believes that the earth is 6000 years old, because some
> preacher came to her church and explained how that whole carbon-14 business
> is nonsense, etc.

I have issues with some applications of carbon 14 testing, but it is a
materials handling issue ...

Look - when you are testing a textile that has both gone through a
*major* fire, with commensurate damage, *and* spent centuries hung in
buildings lit by flames, censored with incense, wafted through
environments filled with tobacco smoke in various forms, and breathed
upon by numerous handlers there *is* going to be *contamination* no
matter how you look at it.

I am not claiming that the Shroud of Turin is real, or not. I am just
saying  that the test may have been screwed. I find that there is
reasonable doubt as to the accuracy of that particular test.