[LMB] OT: verging on forbidden territory: political attitudes about science

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Sep 9 14:44:12 BST 2011

On Sep 8, 2011, at 11:14 PM, William A Wenrich wrote:

> I'm personally insulted with the way this subject is usually presented. I am
> a registered Republican. I believe that global temperatures rose between
> 1850 and 1998. I am not certain that this is solely due to the burning of
> fossil fuels. I am certain that the proper scientific argument does not
> consist of yelling, "Shut up you evil deniers!"

One would think that there would be a higher percentage of Christians than atheists who believe in our duty to be stewards of this gift of a planet.

But there are lots of people (all over the world) who use their Authority to justify their lifestyles.   If their Authority is Patriotism, they don't look at what their nation was built upon, if their Authority is their religion, they don't base their lives on their scriptures (WWJD).    Unfortunately, these people are the people that stand out all too often.

Political responses to climate change:

Saying it can't happen if I'm elected because I'll pass regulations to stop it.

Saying it can't happen if I'm elected because I've talked with God.

Not knowing whether it happens or not - but seeing political advantage to blaming China or the U.S. or Big Business for it.

But nobody says, if it does happen, here's how we should prepare for it.