[LMB] OT: verging on forbidden territory: GOP attitudes about science

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri Sep 9 16:26:12 BST 2011

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 11:14:34PM -0600, William A Wenrich wrote:

> fossil fuels. I am certain that the proper scientific argument does not
> consist of yelling, "Shut up you evil deniers!"

Proper scientific argument consists of presenting evidence and
reasoning.

What happens when people wilfully ignore or dishonestly deny such
evidence and reasoning is another matter.

Cf. tobacco, cancer.

People are entitled to a starting assumption of good faith.  They're not
entitled to a permanent assumption of it.

> As to evolution, I'm not sure that pure random chance can explain the world
> in all its complexity. I am well aware that I can be wrong. This is a

Random chance is what provides mutations.  Natural selection is the
iterated selection of such mutations over generations, due to
differential reproduction.

-xx- Damien X-)