[LMB] OT: verging on forbidden territory: political attitudes about science

Carol Cooper carolcooper at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 10 15:55:18 BST 2011

Howard Brazee wrote

> One would think that there would be a higher percentage of Christians than
> atheists who believe in our duty to be stewards of this gift of a planet.

Why would one think that?  As an atheist, I believe that our lifetimes on
Earth are all that there is, and that what we do while we're here is the
only thing that counts.  I don't believe in any 'guiding hand' that will
right our screw-ups, or that there's a 'better place' waiting for the
virtuous.  If we destroy the natural environment then we've wrecked it for
mankind - and for animal-kind - for ever.  Why on earth would you think an
atheist cares less for the planet than a Christian?

Carol