[LMB] OT: Turin test

Bear Master bearmaster0 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 18:23:04 BST 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 7:18 PM, mtraber251 <mtraber251 at earthlink.net> wrote:

>  And speaking as a hazmat tech and NDT boffin, elemental contamination is a
> bit more difficult to deal with than hosing it off, soaking it in more
> chemicals or airing it out...and C14 is an elemental contamination. It can
> modify any organic bonding of C12 or C13.
>
> C14 testing is not the all that that people think it is. Especially when
> the sample is contaminated out the wazoo. It *is* good for testing something
> that has been shut up in a tomb for the past few thousand years and *not*
> cross contaminated for 500 years of public exposure.
>
> [not to mention some people are claiming that they C14 tested a relatively
> modern patch that was french woven in along the edge instead of original
> material, but we are not going into that...]

Actually we did get into that.

OK, you have a sample that is a mixture of something 1900 years old, and 600
years old.  What percentage of the newer stuff must be present for the
entire sample to date out as closer to 600 years old than 1900?  Is it
significant that the 1300 years between the two is less an a quarter of the
half-life of C14?

I had the privelege of meeting the late Dr. J D Donahue, the one who did the
testing at the University of Arizona.  His position was that it was a
personal and professional insult that his results were so widely challenged,
mostly by people who had never preformed any C14 testing.  As I recall he
said "I've done tens of thousands of tests, and this is the only one anyone
ever says [squat] about."