[LMB] OT: verging on forbidden territory: political attitudes about science

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Sep 10 20:34:11 BST 2011

On Sep 10, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Carol Cooper wrote:

> Howard Brazee wrote
>>
>> One would think that there would be a higher percentage of Christians than
>> atheists who believe in our duty to be stewards of this gift of a planet.
>>
> Why would one think that?  As an atheist, I believe that our lifetimes on
> Earth are all that there is, and that what we do while we're here is the
> only thing that counts.  I don't believe in any 'guiding hand' that will
> right our screw-ups, or that there's a 'better place' waiting for the
> virtuous.  If we destroy the natural environment then we've wrecked it for
> mankind - and for animal-kind - for ever.  Why on earth would you think an
> atheist cares less for the planet than a Christian?
>
> Carol

In real life, I don't notice that we do care less about our planet and its future than Christians do.    That's from observation, not from logic.

That said, I cherish gifts from loved ones more than I cherish things that I buy for myself.

And I try harder to do what someone who has power over me wants.