[LMB] OT: verging on forbidden territory: political attitudes about science

JenL jenl1625 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 23:13:23 BST 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> And I try harder to do what someone who has power over me wants.

I can't say that the churches I've attended are representative of all
Christian churches in the U.S. (much less Christian churches worldwide), but
(back in the 80s and early 90s when I attended), I *NEVER* heard my church
teaching that it was our duty to preserve this earth for those after us.  I
heard a LOT about how we needed to prepare for the End Times, which are
Coming Soon.  I heard a bit, now and then, about how God Gave Man Dominion
Over The Earth, and how those Godless Liberals substitute Environmentalism
for God (just like other misled souls substitute sex, or drugs, or gambling,
or whatever for the hole left in their lives/souls by blocking out God....).

And any science about the environment or global warming was suspect, because
it came from secular scientists.  Science was only reliable and believable
if it was seeking to prove the Bible true in some way.  Secular scientists
were either intentionally out to serve the interests of evil or had good
intentions but were subject to being misled because they didn't have God to
keep them to the Truth.  (My church, at least, tended to gloss over the
notion that if you felt that way, maybe you should be more skeptical of
those blood pressure pills...)

jen
--
*

If it moves but shouldn't, use duct tape.

If it should move but doesn't, use WD40.
*