[LMB] OT: verging on forbidden territory: GOP attitudes about science

Alexandra Haropulos aharo at erols.com
Sat Sep 10 23:36:24 BST 2011

On 9/10/2011 11:36 AM, Agnes Charrel-Berthillier wrote:

> <shrug> Not going into a discussion on the existence of a supreme being.
> Just stressing out that science tries to explain how the world works
> (whether on the subject of evolution or gravity) and never goes into
> primal causes.
>
> Which leaves me perplexed as to why people get all wound up on that
> subject. Probably showing where my blind spots are.

What she said.

My freshman physics prof mentioned that spinning a bucket creates a
vortex; presumably spinning the universe and keeping the bucket
immobile  would produce the same result, but Congress probably wouldn't
fund the experiment any time soon. (That was a much funnier joke in 1970
than today. Hope no Congress-critters are reading this.)

Alex H
who is not uninterested, but lacks the budget to investigate