[LMB] OT: verging on forbidden territory: political attitudes about science

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Sun Sep 11 05:06:13 BST 2011

On 9/10/11 3:29 PM, Alexandra Haropulos wrote:

> Well, sorta. 15 years ago, a female colleague of my husband, along with
> a male collegue, were accosted in an Ankara street by someone who was
> pretty insistent on buying the woman from the male colleague.

And somebody tried to buy my mother from my father in a souk in Morocco
25 (?) years ago, and ditto in Turkey a few years later. In Turkey both
myself and my two sisters (mid to late teens) were present. None of *us*
got an offer, but the going rate for one middle aged Frenchwoman seemed
to be about one camel.

In both cases my father took it the way it was clearly intended, ie. as
a tongue in cheek conversation opener ("me stupid barbarian"/"you
intelligent tourist") to try and get him to buy whatever the man making
the offer was actually selling (in Turkey, fake Lacoste shirts).

There were a bunch of sellers assiduously practicing the same trick on
all the couples of middle aged tourists around us, certainly. And I have
heard many friends of my parents (and grandparents!) traveling in North
Africa relate similar experiences (my grandmother might have rated more
than her daughter!). Can't believe there really *is* such a huge market
for peri-menopausal European women over there...

Agnes