[LMB] Bringing it back to LMB [Was:OT: verging on forbidden territory: political]

H. Torrance Griffin htgriffin at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 13:22:40 BST 2011

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 01:54:58 -0700

From: Mitch Miller <mitchmiller at entertainmenttax.com>
Subject: [LMB] Bringing it back to LMB [Was:OT: verging on forbidden
    territory: political]

> "Ah, yes.  I recall from your file that you are some sort of theist," said the Emperor.
> "I am an atheist, myself.  A simple faith, but one which provides me with great comfort
> in these last days."
                -- Shards of Honor

> Ezar felt free to order mass murder to fulfill his purposes, because he believed (and prayed!)
> there was no God to judge him.  If I were an atheist, why on earth would I care about the
> environment or anything else but my own aggrandisement and pleasure?

In a word: Empathy.  More or less the same reason more theists than not care if others end up in the Lake of Fire.

Note that Ezar's purposes were anything but his own aggrandisement and pleasure.  Otherwise he would have just not bothered exerting himself and let his son run the Imperium into the ground.