[LMB] OT: Sports in Schools

Jacki Knight jacki at knightech.com.au
Sun Sep 11 13:28:10 BST 2011

On 08/07/2011, at 6:30 PM, Raye Johnsen wrote:
> Some years ago, a program trialling the use of Dance Dance
> Revolution in PE classes was in the news, and all the reports were
> very positive.  The most often quoted comment was from a twelve year
> old girl, and, paraphrased, was: "I'm not having to compete against
> anybody.  I don't win or lose.  It's just me."  (I don't really know
> what happened to that, but I'll bet good money the programme was
> dumped in favour of more football.)
>
> I think that that girl summed up my whole problem with school sports
> (and sports in general) in a nutshell.  It's always a competition,
> with teams working against each other.  Someone always has to lose
> (and, yeah, that someone was usually me).  I hate that.  DDR, tai
> chi, yoga, gymnastics - things where it's *fitness* not *winning*
> that's the point and the only competition is with yourself - that's
> the kind of school sports I'd like to see.  But as long as there are
> kids who are only motivated by schadenfreude, there will be that
> type of PE teaching, and generations of non-sporty people like us
> poisoned against *any* kind of sports.

The High School my elder daughter attends has a very active performing
arts programme (they do REALLY well in the Rock Eisteddfod). To the
point where kids in year 7 are given 1 semester of sport and 1
semester of Dance then allowed to choose between Sport or Dance (Girls
Dance and Boys Dance - they find it works better for everyone that
way) for the remaining 3 years of HS (in the ACT kids do years 11 & 12
at a College, not HS).

Jacki in Canberra - not surprised that the offspring is planning to do
dance, not sports