[LMB] Bringing it back to LMB [Was:OT: verging on forbidden territory: political)

Carol Cooper carolcooper at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 11 15:55:08 BST 2011

Mitch Miller wrote

> From: "Carol Cooper" carolcooper at shaw.ca
>
> >Howard Brazee wrote
> >>
> >> One would think that there would be a higher percentage of Christians
> than
> >> atheists who believe in our duty to be stewards of this gift of a
> planet.
> >>
> >Why would one think that?  As an atheist, I believe that our lifetimes on
> >Earth are all that there is, and that what we do while we're here is the
> >only thing that counts.  I don't believe in any 'guiding hand' that will
> >right our screw-ups, or that there's a 'better place' waiting for the
> >virtuous.  If we destroy the natural environment then we've wrecked it
> for
> >mankind - and for animal-kind - for ever.  Why on earth would you think
> an
> >atheist cares less for the planet than a Christian?
>
> >Carol
>
> "Ah, yes.  I recall from your file that you are some sort of theist," said
> the Emperor.
> "I am an atheist, myself.  A simple faith, but one which provides me with
> great comfort
> in these last days."
>                 -- Shards of Honor
>
> Ezar felt free to order mass murder to fulfill his purposes, because he
> believed (and prayed!)
> there was no God to judge him.  If I were an atheist, why on earth would I
> care about the
> environment or anything else but my own aggrandisement and pleasure?

I'm trying to work out if that comment is 'tongue in cheek' or not, because
if not, it's one of the most offensive things I've ever heard.  Do you
seriously think that atheists give no thought to ethics?  Most of the
atheists I know (as opposed to those who don't know what they think and
simply don't go to church) have given much thought to what they do or do not
believe in, and generally have a well-thought out set of ethics and values.
I personally have far more respect for people who behave with decency,
kindness and altruism because they have chosen to do so, rather than those
whose behaviour is governed by fear that they'll be punished if they
misbehave.

But I'm really hoping your comment was just a bad joke......
Carol