[LMB] Bringing it back to LMB [Was:OT: verging on forbidden territory: political]

Becca becca_price at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 16:05:05 BST 2011

=========================
There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays
And every single one of them is right!
--Rudyard Kipling

>Ezar felt free to order mass murder to fulfill his purposes, because he believed (and prayed!)
>there was no God to judge him.  If I were an atheist, why on earth would I care about the
>environment or anything else but my own aggrandisement and pleasure?

That old canard! if you truly believe that you would care only for your own aggrandizement and pleasure if it wasn't for god, that doesn't say much good about you or your priorities.

It is perfectly possible to be good without having a god to hold a carrot/stick over you. It's like the people who claim that they would be a rapist if they weren't afraid of some deity (yes, that's a real claim - google Vox Day).

You can choose to be good because it's simply the right thing to do, because it advances social cohesion, because it increases rather than decreases the general happiness.

You can choose to be bad for lots of religious reasons, too.  Google Fredrick Douglas' thoughts when, as a slave, his bad master converted to Methodism, and became even a worse master... but he had god's justification for it, so that made it all right.

-becca