[LMB] Bringing it back to LMB [Was:OT: verging on forbidden territory: political]

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Sun Sep 11 18:09:08 BST 2011

On Sep 11, 2011, at 9:07 AM, Rachel wrote:

> If good acts are only done because the actor fears punishment in the
> afterlife, how good are they, really? If one person is charitable
> because they choose to be so and another is charitable because there's
> a gun to their head, which act is more "good"?

Wait, wait.  At least some theists do good acts because they believe other people and animals and all life are their fellow creations, not out of some idea of punishment; Christians should also believe that God has demonstrated ultimate love for us, so we should follow that example and love each other.  As an old Episcopal hymn puts it, "How can we love Thee, holy hidden being, if we love not the world which Thou hast made?"

Katherine