[LMB] OT: Sports in Schools

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sun Sep 11 22:33:39 BST 2011

On Sep 11, 2011, at 5:28 AM, Jacki Knight wrote:
> The High School my elder daughter attends has a very active performing arts programme (they do REALLY well in the Rock Eisteddfod). To the point where kids in year 7 are given 1 semester of sport and 1 semester of Dance then allowed to choose between Sport or Dance (Girls Dance and Boys Dance - they find it works better for everyone that way) for the remaining 3 years of HS (in the ACT kids do years 11 & 12 at a College, not HS).

How I wish such an option had been open to me! I am so much more a dancer (ballet in my youth, folk music, English Country Dance and its Regency-era style, 2-3 forms of belly dance, modern/jazz...) than skilled in any current sports, although if Fencing had been offered in HS, I might have gone with that and done better than with mainstream sports. If Dance had been an option, I would have risen higher in class standings, because PE was the only place my grades faltered.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
❦ If you cannot learn to love real art at least learn to hate sham art.  ❧ William Morris❦