[LMB] OT: Thought for the day

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Mon Sep 12 02:42:43 BST 2011

A. Marina Fournier wrote

> Did you feel like an atheist looking at all the art in
> the Vatican?

I'm not sure how you think an atheist looking at art in the Vatican would feel. Myself, I was in awe.  But I love Renaissance art.  I thought the Pieta particularly breathtaking.  Just not for religious reasons, or at least, not reasons of Christianity.  But doesn't something like that speak to all mankind?  (And personkind, too.)

Brings to mind a story of my experience there.  I, and others, were staring in wonder at the Pieta.  Two English-speaking tourists were standing beside me.

The woman said to the man, "Is it real?"

"I don't know," he said.

Then the two walked on.  My friend and I thought: Say what?

I can't imagine what they were thinking. Hologram?

namaste,
Elizabeth