[LMB] Ezar (no talk about religion here, honest)

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Mon Sep 12 05:03:04 BST 2011

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 08:07:02PM -0700, Tel wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ezar was a hard man, a very hard man. I don't see him as a bad
> >man. There's a difference.

There is, but I think Ezar has definite tinges of badness in him.
Or else some things wouldn't have been allowed to get as far out
of hand as they did.

Aral, now, Aral is hard as nails when he needs to be (consider Carl
and Evon Vorhalas, for instance.)

> -Tel (and seriously, how many times do you have to try to kill the
> main character as a helpless child before people accept you're a bad
> guy? Clearly more than three...)

I think we understand Piotr, or think we do.  And Miles, our hero,
seems in many ways to take after his grandfather and use him as a
model (for instance, the discussion of political maneuvering in ACC).
So we go "There must be something there."

Bujold is very good about having bad guys who are, in some ways,
sympathetic or understandable once we get into them somewhat.
(Wencel, Martou dy Jironal, Cavilo... just to name a few.)  She's
also got some bad guys who are much less symapathetic (Serg, Ryoval,
Dondo dy Jironal...)

Tony Z
--
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will
annoy enough people to be worth the effort. -- Paul Kerry