[LMB] Bringing it back to LMB [Was:OT: verging on

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Sep 12 16:55:32 BST 2011

On Sep 12, 2011, at 9:44 AM, Becca wrote:

>> Whereas we see religion not making much difference.  Sometimes it may
>> make bad people do good or at least non-bad things, but sometimes it
>> convinces good people to do bad things.
>

> witness Fredrick Douglas' musings on why his master became a worse master after the master converted to Methodism.

So often people use authority to avoid thinking.   That authority may be religion or country or boss or academia or peer pressure or other.

Quite often that authority isn't at all what people use it for.   A country based upon individual rights will have "patriots" who demand conformity.   A religion based upon being good to the needy can be used to support the status quo of the powerful.    A military set up to defend people can have members committing atrocities.

That corruption doesn't mean the basis is wrong - it just means that people very often are more comfortable avoiding responsibility.