[LMB] Bringing it back to LMB [Was:OT: verging on

Mitch Miller mitchmiller at entertainmenttax.com
Mon Sep 12 18:38:08 BST 2011

From: phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu

<snip>

The Golden Rule.  Formulated as such by Hillel, an ancient Jewish
thinker, but makes no reference to God. . .

<snip>

Not so at all -- Hillel's comment was in response to a Roman who asked Hillel to teach him the
Torah while standing on one foot.  The entire quote is "That which is hateful to you, do not do
to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn."

<snip>

Perhaps you are not one of these people, in which case I guess you
really should stay Christian, if that's all that keeps you in line.

<snip>

I'm not a Christian.  "I'm a Jew, sir, I'm a Jew , sir, and sure 'tis no lie, for my name, sir, is Moses Ritureli-i!"
(Irish folk song, courtesy of  Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers)

<snip>

Funnily enough, C. S. Lewis thought there was a universal moral sense
that couldn't evolve naturally, and thus that that was evidence for God.
Your argument (not unique to you) is that there's no moral sense, and so
people need a belief in God...

-xx- Damien X-)
<snip>

What's that they say about "The true test of another person's intelligence is how much they agree
with you?" <G>

Mitch Miller