[LMB] OT: Stewardship, one Christian perspective

William A Wenrich wawenri at msn.com
Mon Sep 12 18:39:06 BST 2011

There has been some discussion concerning stewardship,  the environment, and
what it means to Christians. While I cannot speak for all or most
Christians, I can speak for myself. Please take these comments as MY
opinion. YMMV

Stewardship is not the same as preservation. A steward was supposed to use
and improve the things he was entrusted with. A steward of a vineyard was
supposed to care for the vines both pruning and harvesting. He was supposed
to make wines and sell them.

The parable of the "unprofitable servant" illustrates this. The servant who
merely preserved his masters money (read capital, a talent of silver was a
large amount even by todays standard) by burying it and not investing it was
berated and punished.

William A Wenrich

Christian, husband, father, grandfather, son, American. Here I stand. I can
do no other. God Help me!