[LMB] Child of the Library

Laura Gallagher celticdragonfly at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 19:08:22 BST 2011

> Here's a protest song we can all get behind:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDi5JtS1H-g&feature=youtu.be

I like the song... but....

He talks about the library being where you go on Saturday.  Nice idea
- but not anymore.  Do you think I can send my child to the library?
Do you think I can take her there and drop her off? Do you think I can
even tell her to go browse for books while I'm in a different area, or
on a computer?

Nope.  Not anymore.  I've found they don't want the kid there unless
there's a helicopter parent within arms reach at all times.

Fortunately we have something of our own library here, but it's still
a crying shame.

Same with the parks.  I can't send my child to a park unless I'm there
within arms reach. We've done what we can to give them their own tiny
park in the back yard, but oh it's so not the same.

I think the trend this article discusses is a large part of what's
killing the libraries
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2011/08/31/a_1979_first_grade_readiness_checklist_asks_if_your_child_can_tr.html