[LMB] Rome and Babylon was re: Bringing it back to LMB [Was:OT: verging on

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Sep 12 19:46:29 BST 2011

On Sep 12, 2011, at 12:42 PM, Pat Mathews wrote:

> Well... all of those things you cite come from deeply religious traditions, too.
> Babylon and ancient Rome were not primarily inhabited by atheists: indeed, I suspect
> atheists were quite rare within those populations, and that Rome had many more
> devoutly religious people than modern Sweden does. I'm not a Classicist, but
> superficial reading has given me the impression that Romans believed that
> in order to be a person of good ethical standing - a virtuous man or woman
> - you should give the gods their due and worship them faithfully. That was quite true. It was a matter of practice rather than doctrine, and at times was closer to
> our saluting the flag than it was to what we'd call a worship service, but, yes.

One reason that much of Europe has moved away from the Church is that way too often the Church and State were bedfellows, with the Church working to make happy surfs bowing to authority.   When democracy came and people kicked out rulers, they kicked out the authority which went with those authorities.

Right now, there are more Christians going to church each Sunday in China than in Europe.