[LMB] Effects of "Global Warming"

Rachel anglerfish at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 20:15:21 BST 2011

"So what *should* the preparation be for whatever comes?"

I went to see The Inconvenient Truth with a very clever physicist qua
meteorologist and remember asking him afterwards whether the movie was
embellishing things. He said, "No, it's sugar-coating things. We're
not going to fix the problem by turning off our lights and using
energy efficient cars. Unless we make a serious move to nuclear power,
which we won't do because people are irrationally afraid of it, and
possibly build facilities to actively draw the carbon down out of the
air and pump it back into the ground, which we won't do because it's
expensive, we're screwed. So it's probably best to stop worrying about
it."

Mind you, I've long known that he's a bit of a pessimist.

(Vaguely related: I recently met a guy who was hoping to do his PhD
dissertation in philosophy on how it is our moral imperative to
colonize space.)