[LMB] Child of the Library

Kevin Kennedy kevink45 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 12 21:08:54 BST 2011

Depressing, isn't it. There's a hugeous park right across the street from me. Fom my porch, I can see one of the park's batches of basketball and tennis courts and horshoe pits, with the pool, rec center and more sports fields 2 blocks east. Yet around the corner, 4 houses from the corner, some neighbors had a portable basketball backboard set up for the kids to PLAY IN THE STREET rather than send them to the park.(This has been taken down, it was illegally blocking the sidewalk)  You'd think kids big enough to use regular height basketball gear could cope with a 1/2 block walk and the amount of traffic on the cross street to go in the park. Of course, there are be reasons for parents to worry about this park-2 bodies, just in the 3 years I've lived here. One was found dumped in the creek about a block west of me, right after I moved in, and a late afternoon shooting by the picnic shelter right opposite me. I had just gotten off the bus after work when police cars started pulling into the park.

In addition to the scary parts, theres d*mn poor planning in a lot of neighborhoods. The suburb I lived in while in grade school, the nearest grocery/pharmacy/anything was at least a couple of miles away, and most of the way is along a busy street with no sidewalks. And the trend has gotten worse, mostly. Lots of areas, it isn't easy for a kid on a bike to run small errands for Mom or go hang out at the library.