[LMB] OT: All discussions re religion vs. atheism

JenL jenl1625 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 23:42:13 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:21 PM, Bert Ricci <razenna at earthlink.net> wrote:

> One thing I have noticed in this thread, no one has mentioned agnosticism.
>  Does anyone accept "I just don't know"?  That is another belief that
> usually includes "Do as you would be done by".  I'm not taking any side in
> these arguments, but it seems to me all of you agree with that saying, which
> includes caring about everything that might affect people.

I think I have a blind spot for agnostics, because my church always had such
a bright line (you believe or you're lost) sort of attitude - it could
actually be scary because it starts getting into that area where, if you
think the God they describe might be real, you'd better be on His good side.
 It's one of the reasons it took me a while to admit I was an atheist - the
consequences of deciding He wasn't real and being wrong... ?

On the "do as you would have done unto you", I have occasionally wished
there was a better way to say "do as the one you're doing for would prefer".
 I've had quite a few well-meaning folks do absolutely the wrong thing at
the wrong time, because it's what *they* would have wanted done for them.

jen

--
*

If it moves but shouldn't, use duct tape.

If it should move but doesn't, use WD40.
*