[LMB] Effects of "Global Warming"

JenL jenl1625 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 00:20:55 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I like about this is how some archeologists are having fun in
> Greenland
> going over villages that are now appearing where the ice is retreating.
>
> Interestingly enough, they aren't finding evidence that the native people
> then had SUV's and corporate jets... but they did apparently have
> significantly higher temps, as evidenced by the fact that there wasn't any
> ice there when they set up a village.

Okay, let's oversimplify and say there are two causes of the current global
climate change - human activity and ... the sun entering a warmer phase.
 Let's say, just for argument, that there's simply no way to know how much
of that climate change is a result of human action.  Let's say we can't know
*exactly* how much damage the climate change will cause, but we know it will
cause damage.  Sea levels rise, which means the water is higher to start
with when a storm pushes that storm surge higher, or a tidal wave hits.
 Storms become more frequent, stronger, etc.

In that scenario, having no idea how much of the cause is human - Shouldn't
we still be trying to prevent the damage?  Even if the cause is the sun,
which we can't affect, shouldn't we be trying to find *anything* we can to
reduce the damage we do, maybe find ways to counter the effect the sun is
having?

Because the idea that as long as it wasn't human-caused, it's okay that
coastal cities get hit with more frequent hurricanes, that some of them
flood out, that our global climate becomes less predictable, that our
fertile areas dry out or get swamped ...  Not an idea I'd sign to.  And no,
I don't drive a Prius.  But I deeply wish folks would stop arguing over
whether it's human-caused and start talking about what can really be done
about it, at what cost, at what risk, with what likely effects...

jen

--
*

If it moves but shouldn't, use duct tape.

If it should move but doesn't, use WD40.
*