[LMB] Effects of "Global Warming"

Jeff Shultz jeffshultz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 00:42:02 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM, JenL <jenl1625 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What I like about this is how some archeologists are having fun in
> > Greenland
> > going over villages that are now appearing where the ice is retreating.
> >
> > Interestingly enough, they aren't finding evidence that the native people
> > then had SUV's and corporate jets... but they did apparently have
> > significantly higher temps, as evidenced by the fact that there wasn't
> any
> > ice there when they set up a village.
> >

> Okay, let's oversimplify and say there are two causes of the current global
> climate change - human activity and ... the sun entering a warmer phase.
>  Let's say, just for argument, that there's simply no way to know how much
> of that climate change is a result of human action.  Let's say we can't
> know
> *exactly* how much damage the climate change will cause, but we know it
> will
> cause damage.  Sea levels rise, which means the water is higher to start
> with when a storm pushes that storm surge higher, or a tidal wave hits.
>  Storms become more frequent, stronger, etc.
>
> Big oversimplification - you just assumed that human activity plays any
measurable part. This has not been proven.  At least not to my satisfaction.

> In that scenario, having no idea how much of the cause is human - Shouldn't
> we still be trying to prevent the damage?  Even if the cause is the sun,
> which we can't affect, shouldn't we be trying to find *anything* we can to
> reduce the damage we do, maybe find ways to counter the effect the sun is
> having?
>
> But the only *anything* seems to involve trashing the economies of the
developed world to try and fix a problem with solutions that are not proven
to be causing the problem. The one thing I have seen that I sort of trust is
those who are saying that if it's human caused, nothing we can do can fix it
at this point.

> Because the idea that as long as it wasn't human-caused, it's okay that
> coastal cities get hit with more frequent hurricanes, that some of them
> flood out, that our global climate becomes less predictable, that our
> fertile areas dry out or get swamped ...  Not an idea I'd sign to.  And no,
> I don't drive a Prius.  But I deeply wish folks would stop arguing over
> whether it's human-caused and start talking about what can really be done
> about it, at what cost, at what risk, with what likely effects...
>
> You're still trying to fix a problem that you don't even know if you've
caused - or are quite sure how.

--
Jeff Shultz
http://www.shultzinfosystems.com