[LMB] Effects of "Global Warming"

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Sep 13 00:58:50 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 04:42:02PM -0700, Jeff Shultz wrote:

> Big oversimplification - you just assumed that human activity plays
> any measurable part. This has not been proven.  At least not to my
> satisfaction.

How about tobacco causing cancer?  Has that been proven for you yet?

Coincidentally, it's largely the same people and tactics at work.

But you're a layman, yes?  So any "proof" actually consists of which set
of alleged experts to believe.  And as long as there's some apparent
expert who gives you cover for not believing the scientific consensus,
you'll continue to not believe.

Or maybe you have some reason for not believing that CO2 is a greenhouse
gas, and one vital for keeping the world non-frozen?  Or not believing
that we have increased its concentration by at least a third over the
past century?

> But the only *anything* seems to involve trashing the economies of the
> developed world to try and fix a problem with solutions that are not proven

Please prove that "trashing the economies" will be required, to our
satisfaction.  Account for the fact that warming or not, the resources
at work are ones that are going to soar in price in a few decades, or
for that matter right now.  Also compare the alleged "trashing" which
that which can occur if global warming is real.

> to be causing the problem. The one thing I have seen that I sort of trust is
> those who are saying that if it's human caused, nothing we can do can fix it
> at this point.

"It's not happening, if it is it's not our fault, and if it is our fault
it's too late".  Convenient how you'll believe anything that avoids us
having to do anything about it.

> You're still trying to fix a problem that you don't even know if you've
> caused - or are quite sure how.

No, we're pretty sure.

-xx- Damien X-)