[LMB] Ezar - - the hand he was dealt

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Sep 13 02:19:30 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 05:25:42PM -0700, Judy R. Johnson wrote:

> Has anybody written a fanfic about how ELSE that same set of circumstances
> might have been mitigated?  Given the hand that Ezar was dealt, how might a
> different person have successfully set Barrayar on a reasonably hopeful path
> to a sustainable, secure and benign empire that "gets most of the work of
> government done most of the time."

1) Kill Serg and hope.
2) Kill Serg and the whole War Party.

These have their risks.  However, I am not sure those risks would appear
higher to a sane person than "start a Rube Goldberg war with the intent
of killing Serg and discrediting the war party despite all the ways this
could go wrong."

Parallel fanfic: list all the ways Ezar's plan could have gone wrong.
Negri's intelligence was faulty.  The Betans don't step in, or do so too
slowly, or get shot down en route.  Serg doesn't go into the front, or
does but escapes.  Serg orders Aral to the front.   Serg or someone
thinks of a surprising way to defeat the plasma mirrors, or to force
Esocbaran surrender despite them.

IIRC, preserving his son's reputation, and providing a huge funeral pyre
to 'honor' him, were also part of Ezar's motivations.

-xx- Damien X-)