[LMB] OT: Effects of "Global Warming"

Mitch Miller mitchmiller at entertainmenttax.com
Tue Sep 13 02:48:58 BST 2011

From: Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz at gmail.com>

> Okay, let's oversimplify and say there are two causes of the current
> global climate change - human activity and ... the sun entering a warmer phase.
>  Let's say, just for argument, that there's simply no way to know how
> much of that climate change is a result of human action.  Let's say we
> can't know
> *exactly* how much damage the climate change will cause, but we know
> it will cause damage.  Sea levels rise, which means the water is
> higher to start with when a storm pushes that storm surge higher, or a
> tidal wave hits.
>  Storms become more frequent, stronger, etc.
>
> Big oversimplification - you just assumed that human activity plays
> any
measurable part. This has not been proven.  At least not to my satisfaction.

> In that scenario, having no idea how much of the cause is human -
> Shouldn't we still be trying to prevent the damage?  Even if the cause
> is the sun, which we can't affect, shouldn't we be trying to find
> *anything* we can to reduce the damage we do, maybe find ways to
> counter the effect the sun is having?
>

> Because the idea that as long as it wasn't human-caused, it's okay
> that coastal cities get hit with more frequent hurricanes, that some
> of them flood out, that our global climate becomes less predictable,
> that our fertile areas dry out or get swamped ...  Not an idea I'd
> sign to.  And no, I don't drive a Prius.  But I deeply wish folks
> would stop arguing over whether it's human-caused and start talking
> about what can really be done about it, at what cost, at what risk, with what likely effects...

Could you answer a couple of questions for me?

How do we know the climate of 1900 is the best of all possible worlds?

Why or from what source do you derive that we have a right to be free from climate change?

What do we do if we've prepared for global warming, but, as some scientists believe, global
warming causes a new Ice Age?

Mitch Miller