[LMB] Child of the Library

Jean Lamb tlambs1138 at charter.net
Tue Sep 13 04:01:33 BST 2011

Actually, we live in Klamath Falls on a short street (about two or three
blocks long) and has a lot of street sports when we have little kids in
residence (lots of rental places here). Hopscotch, little bike ramps, and so
on. I have, on several occasions, told small children I don't even know to
go stand on a lawn while I am driving by. And there are always walkers up
and down Summers Lane, which has very good sidewalks on both sides (and the
occasional glimpse of wildlife in this one ditch along the way--no fooling,
saw a crane there once).  Our kids traveled on bikes on their own (though
Cathy tended to travel in a pack in the summer, which were fed lunch at
whatever house they were at. Learned later on that one neighbor's house was
picked because the mom there let them have potato chips. Also found out
later that Cathy visited over there because she and her friend could
sneak-watch R rated horror movies on one of the TVs there, but oh well, she
survived that, too).

But K. Falls is a fairly small town (40,000) and quite rural on outlook.
Even so, we have the helicopter parents (Mike had one student whose mom was
a Warthog parent). But one of the major disappointments of the kids around
here was when they paved a road commonly used for riding over fast because
it had cool bumps. In 1994, the kids successfully kept a huge lump of snow
alive till nearly June (cold water and cool temperatures at night. Granted,
we had around a hundred inches of snow that winter, so it was a pretty big
lump, put together with a backhoe by the guy who owned the pasture).

Jean Lamb
tlambs1138 at charter.net
http://mollylikesmovies.blogspot.com/
Meet the Carstairs Sisters at www.gameoflove1.com today!