[LMB] Ezar (no talk about religion here, honest)

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Tue Sep 13 04:28:38 BST 2011

--- On Sun, 9/11/11, Tel <teldreaming at gmail.com> wrote:

> You know, I really wonder why people are happy to blithely
> accept the main characters' moral judgments as totally true -except-
> when it comes to mass murdering dictators like Ezar.

What? I don't accept any main characters moral judgments as true - for one thing "true" seems to me to be the wrong word for any moral judgement, because a judgement is not a fact. Better to call it 'right' or 'wrong' - and there's no character in the Bujold novels who always does the right thing. If such a thing were imaginable, it would break my suspension of disbelief: no one is perfect.

There may be a few characters who always do the morally wrong thing. (Baron Ryoval? Cavilo?  Ges Vorrutyer?)

In any case, that isn't the point. I don't need or want the characters I read about to be *right* - I want them to be though-provoking.  And that, Bujold characters always are.

I have no particular desire to read about saints.  Mostly because I don't believe in them. (Hmm, are we back to religion again?  Not really.)

> -Tel (and seriously, how many times do you have to try to
> kill the main character as a helpless child before people accept
> you're a bad guy? Clearly more than three...)

Have you heard the phrase, "To understand is to forgive"?  It's not universally true, but in my case, it applies with regard to Piotr Vorkosigan.

namaste,
Elizabeth