[LMB] OT: verging on forbidden territory: political attitudes about science

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Sep 13 08:04:27 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 07:14:38AM -0600, Howard Brazee wrote:

> What are they saying we should do after it happens?    Build dikes?
> Move farms to Canada and Siberia?   Prepare for refugees from the
> tropics?

Public granaries to deal with crop failure, and big
irrigation/desalination projects to deal with water supply failure, seem
like the no-brainers to me.  I don't hear many people talking about
them, though.  Especially the granaries (or "strategic food reserve" in
modern terminology), which is pretty scary.  One big volcano that chokes
sunlight and agriculture for 3 years and you can probably knock
civilization over with a feather.

-xx- Damien X-)