[LMB] OT: Effects of "Global Warming"

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Sep 13 08:19:56 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 09:09:02PM -0700, Elizabeth Holden wrote:

> > Why or from what source do you derive that we have a right
> > to be free from climate change?
>
> We don't, obviously.  But we can only survive if the planet can
> support our life.

To be fair, becoming too hot for "life" is probably unlikely, possibly
runaway scenarios especially with methane clathrates notwithstanding.
Disrupting the agriculture we need to feed ourselves is far easier.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 09:12:13PM -0700, Jeff Shultz wrote:

> Question: When wasn't the climate changing?

AIUI the past 10,000 years of the Holocene were unusually stable by
geological standards.  Which might suggest that that's why agriculture
took off around then.  And also suggest that any ill-considered
destabilization is a really bad idea.

And you know, if we're causing global warming, the government
intervention to fix it can be temporary and lightweight in the long
term: deploy carbon taxes and infrastructure projects to shift us to a more
sustainable way of life, then sit back and let the markets resume.  If
stuff like 30-year droughts and 3-year sunlight interruptions and 300
year cooling spells are normal, then that calls for a lot more societal
coordination, on a permanent basis, possibly including hardline
population control, to avoid having lots of people starve to death
perodically.

-xx- Damien X-)