[LMB] OT: Effects of "Global Warming"

Mitch Miller mitchmiller at entertainmenttax.com
Tue Sep 13 08:30:57 BST 2011

From: Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com

--- On Mon, 9/12/11, Mitch Miller <mitchmiller at entertainmenttax.com> wrote:

>> How do we know the climate of 1900 is the best of all
>> possible worlds?

>Why would you think it was?

Seems to me if you say we have to reduce as much as possible the changes in climate that have occurred over the
last century, you're saying that's pretty much the ideal climate.  I haven't heard anybody say, forex, let's take things
back to where they were in the Little Ice Age, or in the Medieval warm period.

>> Why or from what source do you derive that we have a right
>> to be free from climate change?

We don't, obviously.  But we can only survive if the planet can support our life.

> >What do we do if we've prepared for global warming, but, as
> >some scientists believe, global
> >warming causes a new Ice Age?

>It doesn't matter if it gets too cold for life, or too hot.  If that happens, we're gone.

A 0.1 to 1 degree temperature rise or fall is going to end the planet's support for our life?
A 1 - 2 meter rise in ocean levels will wipe us out?  We survived the Ice Age with stone axes and flint knives,
and we couldn't survive an almost imperceptible rise in temperature or water level with all our technology?
Human beings, the toughest, most inventive, most adaptable creatures ever to walk the planet?

Sorry, I'll have to be a skeptic on that one.

Mitch Miller

P.S. Yes, I am in favor of reducing pollution as much as reasonably possible, and yes, I'd be happy if my car got
better mileage.  But I'm not willing to reduce the human race to a pre-industrial state to achieve it.

P.P.S.  Who's volunteering to tell the Chinese to stop building their three new coal-fired power plants a week?