[LMB] OT: Effects of "Global Warming"

mtraber251 mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 13 11:03:07 BST 2011

On 9/12/2011 10:36 PM, phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 06:48:58PM -0700, Mitch Miller wrote:
>
>> How do we know the climate of 1900 is the best of all possible worlds?
> This year's drought has killed off much of Texas's cattle industry;
> consider if those conditions become the new normal.  Consider what
> happens if the Colorado river mostly dries up due to drough and glacial
> loss.
Rob pointed out that the farmers he is accustomed to [Central Valley
near Fresno] drill deep wells and do not depend on rainfall, and also
subscribe to the canal system. He did not understand why in hell the
ranchers did not drill and depended on surface water and rainfall. He
hoped they were up to date on insurance payments otherwise they were
foolish. I tend to agree with him.
> Consider if the Northeast, mostly not built for hurricanes,
> starts getting annual hurricanes.  Consider the monsoon cycle of India
> stops, on which most of their agriculture depends.  Or the currents of
> the north Atlantic shutdown, depriving Europe of its unusually warm
> climate.  Results range from "regional economies dies" to "hundreds of
> millions of people die".
And what to do with the morons who hear that a hurricane is coming and
either do not evacuate or actually GO to the damned beach to watch the
hurricane roll in.

People adapt or die. Simple. I guess that is applied Darwinism [in the
parlance of one of the 'Ship Who' novels.] I think people who build on
flood plains and coastal zones that get hit by hurricanes regularly are
foolish. YMMV. When I lived in Tidewater I evacuated when hurricanes
were announced well in advance. If I was in western Europe or
Scandanavia that was dependent on the Gulf Stream, I would consider
adding greenhouses and fuel gas generation plants that ferment sewage
into methane to run heating systems and power generation plants to
produce longer season fruits and vegetables, and conduct trade with
countries in more equitable climes for bulk grains and large animals
that graze. [bunnies and chickens can be fed on veggie culls and scraps
but some people want hogs and cows.]

Historically as the growing season shortened making even barley
impractical the northern cultures either tried to move south or went to
a more nomadic lifestyle [semmi and other transarctic nomadic cultures]
We can't let our Scandanavian buddies go viking any more, though they
can emmigrate, or modify the environment to survive. Greenhouses and
methane production is a good logical start.
> I am always amazed at how "conservatives" who warn about unknown social
> effects from things like gay marriage or universal health care can be
> totally blase about playing roulette with the environment we depend on
> to live.  We're told to be very cautious about social change, yet making
> unprecedented changes to the environment is taken as normal, with "maybe
> we should go slow on racing back to the Carboniferous" being asked to
> jump through hoops of burdens of proof.

Exactly.
>> Why or from what source do you derive that we have a right to be free
>> from climate change?
> Our desire for a secure food supply.
>
>> What do we do if we've prepared for global warming, but, as some
>> scientists believe, global warming causes a new Ice Age?
> As worded this question doesn't even make sense.  It's not based on
> much, either; 1970s concerns about global cooling were nothing like the
> modern scientific consensus.
>
> -xx- Damien X-)
As I said, in place of preparing to sweat from the heat, we prepare to
produce food in a short season environment. We prepare to keep warm
without denuding the world of trees. I personally would love to see
hundreds of new nuke plants being built, and the current crop of them
offlined and replaced with newer and better designed ones. I would like
to see a move into space, and exploration on Mars and the asteroid belt.