[LMB] OT: Effects of "Global Warming"

mtraber251 mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 13 11:11:51 BST 2011

On 9/13/2011 12:07 AM, Rachel wrote:
>> What do we do if we've prepared for global warming, but, as some
>> scientists believe, global warming causes a new Ice Age?
> Global Warming has always been a bit of a misnomer--many people I know
> prefer Global Climate Change.
>
> I agree with Jen that it doesn't really matter whether or not we
> caused it. If a meteor were hurtling toward the Earth on line to
> destroy all of, say, Britain, I'm sure that every developed country
> would willingly bankrupt themselves to find some way to stop it. What
> matters is the level of gonna-kill-us-all.
I like that term much better.

And the global climate change is not a gonna kill us all, honestly it is
a gonna inconvenience us all. Some people will have to move away from
the current low and coastal areas [Holland is screwed...] and we will
have to adjust agriculturally to either warmer or cooler years depending
on which way it actually goes. Which is exactly what we did
historically. People in the north moved south, and people moved away
from desert or learned to cope with it by changing to nomadism [or died
off.]

People, *life means change* adapt or die. Nothing new on the planet. It
would be spifftastic if we could figure a way to import some of those
wonderful ice based asteroids to add water to the earth in deserts - and
mine other roids for their minerals so we no longer have to strip the
earth of minerals, but unless someone prods the governments of the world
in the ass with a cattle prod to get us into space, it isn't going to
happen and we have to learn to deal with what we have.