[LMB] OTish: A smartass response to an APOD (Astronomy Picture of the Day)

Jonathan Niehof jtniehof at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 14:33:33 BST 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 4:18 AM, mtraber251 <mtraber251 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Just because a particular chemical is in high percentage locally does not
> mean that it is that element specifically. Apparently there is a fair amount
> of Fair Witness in me.

If it has similar visual characteristics across, and samples as zinc
locally (I don't have the stats on the MER APXS, but on MSL the
smallest sample area is about 2/3" across, and I don't think that
changed with the redesign), I think Occam indicates it is zinc.

I'll talk to the ChemCam folks, though, and let them know they should
vapourize entire rocks once they get there ;)